Yes, web development is a “thing”. When developing a website, there are a million things that have to get done. There is the design, the workability, the coding, and, of course, the search engine optimisation and inclusion of analytics code. It can be easy to accidentally overlook a few of the details unless you work to a strict checklist of everything that must be done, and tick each item off when it has been done completely and double-checked.
Fortunately, there are many ways that you can individualise a website and ways that a website can be tweaked in order to show the personality of the company. Some techniques are obvious: change the colours, streamline the shapes, try a different font, add new content. However, if you ever feel stuck, here are a few small ways to help build effective websites.
1. Rollover colours and images – This is one simple way to make a website stand out. Simply changing the colour or image on the mouse over gives the site a little more “pop”. Check out other websites to see what sort of ideas and creativeness they may bring to the table.
2. Add photos – It doesn’t have to be a photography website in order for you to add images. Find places to fit photos in, and the website will become more personal and more appealing to the eye.
3. Flash – There are many small things that can be done with Flash to help make a website stand out. Flash can be used to add a little spice to the site. But it is best that it is used sparingly. Discrete Flash elements are far better than a Flash site. A full Flash site won’t show up on many mobile devices, whereas you can replace discrete Flash with images that will display if needed.
4. Let the user interact – Whether you have a blog, a place for comments, or surveys – interaction makes the user feel more involved with the site and will increase your chances for return visitors.
5. Make it easy – This may sound a little counterproductive after reading the first 4 tips, but sometimes, when nothing else works, you have to go back to the basics. Make sure the site is easy to use and efficient first, and then build forward from that.